Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems for district power distribution networks by company EKNIS-ENGINEERING are designed to replace and modernize soviet telemechanics systems typical for the majority of energy-distributing companies, mainly “Granit” and “TM-800” types.
System is based on MicroSCADA technology by ABB, specialized for automated systems of dispatching and remote control and IEC standardized. System guarantees improved reliability and accelerated setup using a minimum number of staff.
In addition to telemechanics functions, SCADA systems allow to attach means of recording and accounting at substation. Moreover, control systems can be integrated with MES and ERP systems.
Our company developed the concept of integrated SCADA based on ABB’s products for “Cherkassyoblenergo, PJSC” and “Dneprooblenrgo, PJSC” at 2009. During 2010-2011 years our specialists have accomplished the first stages of integrated automated dispatching control system at district networks of “Dneprooblenergo”. At 2012 the complex modernization of SCADA was completed. Telemechanics based on RTU560 of 35-150 kV substation and 6-10 kV distribution station and SCADA based on MicroSCADAPro 9.3 were designed and implemented at control centers of district networks.
Novomoskovsk power distribution network control center, Dneprooblenergo PJSC
SCADA System for District Power Distribution HV Networks
SCADA of district networks is based on server software SYS600 MicroSCADAPro 9.3 by ABB. Remote terminal unit (RTU) “Sistel” gateway is used for jointing district networks’ SCADA to previous versions of telemechanics.
The information is displayed both at the automated workplaces of each operator and at the videowall accessible to all the personnel. The videowall consists of 8 LCD-pannels and displays the network scheme (including all the distribution and transformer centers with an ability to control the site 0,4 kV). The network scheme is realized by “Modus” software. Wide range of SCADA functions is based on SCIL high-level language built in the MicroSCADA.
District networks’ SCADA communications are based on IEC 60870-5-101/104 protocol. We use HP hardware server platform.
The functions implemented at district networks’ SCADA are listed below:
1. Protection actuation control, protection actuation signals’ remote acknowledgement right at the relay;
2. Dynamic coloring of substation’s network areas depending on whether they are powered, unpowered or grounded.
3. Blocking of breaker’s remote control in case of voltage supply to a grounded area.
4. Long-term archives of technological values, displaying as graphics and tables. Events’ log archiving, current events’ logging. Events’ linking to time marks with up to 1 ms accuracy.
5. Conducting and displaying of distribution network’s scheme 35/10 kV with up to each 10/0.4 kV and 6/0.4 kV transformer. Powered, unpowered and grounded areas are backlighted. There is a possibility to install posters, portable grounds. Switches, situated not in accordance with the scheme of normal mode, are backlighted. Event log is kept.
6. Data control and collection from previous telemechanics systems as Granit, TM800 and others.
There is a possibility of work through reserved links. Automated switch to reserve channel in case of losing main channel. Connection with adjacent systems through OPC and SQL.
Substation RTU description
Telemechanics systems made by Electrotechnical company EKNIS-ENGINEERING are based on technical devices complex RTU560 by ABB. RTU consists of the following elements:
- Processor module (560CMG10, 560CMD11 or 560CMU02);
- Remote signaling module (23BI61, 23BE50 or 23BE23);
- Remote metering module (23AI60, 23AE23 or 560CVT02);
- Remote control module (23BA40 or 23BA20);
- Industrial Ethernet switch, wired modem or wireless router;
- Micro-server ItekWEB for connecting to electrical meters or irregular substation equipment, controllers of which have interface output.
Remote terminal units contain:
- Uninterruptable power supply (up to 4 working hours of battery power);
- Telemechanics’ interposing relay and output terminals for sensors’ connection with dry contacts, 0…5 mA or 4…20 mA;
- Remote control chains, organized with 3-, 4- or 5-wire scheme;
- Data bus with intelligent devices.
Remote control terminals with disconnectors are used to provide safe work with chains at the RTU cabinet when servicing. Remote control is checked for appropriate work. External voltage supply quality is checked at RTU. All the inputs and outputs of the checkpoint have protection in accordance to international standards on electromagnetic compatibility.
Telemechanics’ signal sources are as follows:
- “Dry contact” type sensors of switching devices and relay protection devices, transmitters;
- Electricity meters, relay protection microprocessor terminals;
- Recorders and other intellectual devices at substation.
Central processing unit RTU560 is a basis for telemechanics system. The unit represents PLC with advanced communication capabilities.
Basic operational characteristics:
- Up to 4 serial communication ports (RS-232/RS-485);
- Up to 2 Ethernet ports 10/100 BaseT;
- Up to 750 input/output signals (if required up to 5000 signals) processing;
- Time synchronization from SCADA or GPS.
Relay protection and telemechanics communication protocol support:
- IEC 60870-5-101/104;
- IEC 60870-5-103;
- IEC 61850;
- DNP3, SPA, Modbus.
RTU560 controller is run by factory software, which can be configured for performing the required tasks. Built in web-server allows operational personnel to locally or remotely monitor the condition of input modules’ inputs and output modules’ outputs, as well as to diagnose telemechanics system, monitor system events, reading and downloading of system configurations.
Substation monitoring and control are provided if necessary through web-based HMIl, displayed by JAVA, obtained right from RTU560 processor. The processor supports the function of direct data transmitting from meters and disturbance records from relay protection devices.